Friends of Fish Creek Water Quality Monitoring Program
In 2007, the Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park Society collaborated with Naomi Parker, B.Sc. and Water Management Consultant, to initiate a water quality monitoring program for Fish Creek and the outfalls contributing stormwater to the creek within the Fish Creek Provincial Park boundaries.
The study included sampling at seven sites along Fish Creek:
● Headwaters sampling site, located within the McLean Creek Public Land Use Zone:
50.85710 N 114.60498 W
● Priddis-Tsuu T'ina sampling site, located on private land at the north end of Range Road 30/192 St. W:
50.91997 N 114.28790 W
● Sampling site 1, located within Fish Creek Provincial Park just upstream of Bridge 1:
50.92916 N 114.13801 W
● Sampling site 2, located within Fish Creek Provincial Park downstream of the Evergreen stormwater outfall: 50.93231 N 114.09147 W
● Sampling site 3, located within Fish Creek Provincial Park downstream of the Macleod Trail stormwater outfall: 50.92921 N 114.06889 W
● Sampling site 4, located within Fish Creek Provincial Park downstream of the Acadia stormwater outfall: 50.92830 N 114.04871 W
● Sampling site 5, located within Fish Creek Provincial Park near the confluence with the Bow River: 50.90494 N 114.01091 W
Running from 2007 to 2013, the project was funded and supported by Alberta Environment and Parks, Bow River Basin Council, Land Stewardship Centre, Alberta Conservation Association, RBC Blue Water Fund, ALS Environmental, AGAT Laboratories, Alberta Stewardship Network.
The purpose of the Fish Creek Water Quality Monitoring Program was to develop a baseline for Fish Creek in terms of water quality and to explore the impact of stormwater inputs and recommend best management practices or improvements that can be made for the protection of water quality and aquatic habitat.
|Data Steward Emailfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Data Collection Organization||Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park Society|
|Data Upload Organization||Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park Society|
|Maintenance Frequency Code||unknown|
|Topic Category Code||inlandWaters|
|Keywords||Fish Creek Provincial Park, Water quality, Fish Creek, Citizen Science, River, Creek, Tributary|
|Spatial Extent||-114.605° 50.857°, -114.011° 50.932° (W S, E N)|
|Temporal Extent||2007-07-17 to 2013-10-08|
|Alternate Formats||FGP-HNAP ISO:19115-2 (XML) , W3C DCAT (XML) , W3C DCAT (JSON-LD)|
Friends of Fish Creek Provincial Park Society. 2021-11-12. "Friends of Fish Creek Water Quality Monitoring Program" (dataset). 1.1.0. DataStream. https://doi.org/10.25976/8rwj-8d25.
This multi-year project was funded and supported by a variety of agencies, including Alberta Environment and Parks, Bow River Basin Council, Land Stewardship Centre, Alberta Conservation Association, RBC Blue Water Fund, ALS Environmental, AGAT Laboratories, Alberta Stewardship Network.
Data Collection Information
Grab samples were taken following Alberta Environment’s water quality sampling methods.
Samples were sent to AGAT Laboratories (2007 to 2010) and ALS Environmental (2011 to 2013) in Calgary, Alberta. Samples were collected using bottles supplied by the lab providing analysis services.
Bottle sizes were:
● 500 mL plastic (routine potability)
● 250 mL clear sealed plastic with preservatives (coliforms)
● 100 mL plastic with preservatives (metals analysis)
Parameters were compared to the Surface Water Quality Guidelines for Use in Alberta (SWQGA) and used for the Water Quality Index Calculator.
Attribution Licence (ODC-By) v1.0
You are free to share, copy, distribute, use, modify, transform, build upon, and produce works from the data as long as you attribute any public use of the data, or works produced from the data, in the manner specified in the licence. For any use or redistribution of the data, or works produced from it, you must make clear to others the licence of the data and keep intact any notices on the original data. https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/by/1-0/
curl -G https://api.datastream.org/v1/odata/v4/Records --data-urlencode "\\$filter=DOI eq '10.25976/8rwj-8d25'" -H "x-api-key: PRIVATE-API-KEY"
Added new observations 2007 to 2009.
|File size||553.02 KB|
|File size||1.53 MB|