Key resources used to develop DataStream features.
Watershed boundaries delineated on DataStream are consistent with Water Survey of Canada Sub-Drainage Areas (WSCSDA). To understand how these watersheds relate to other drainage areas in Canada, including major river and ocean drainage areas, and lower order watersheds, see Statistics Canada’s Standard Drainage Area Classification. These watersheds are also consistent with the work unit of the National Hydrographic Network.
The Atlantic DataStream boundary comprises all sub-drainage areas within New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. Watersheds have not been clipped to provincial boundaries and in some cases overlap with Québec and the state of Maine.
Map layer sources
Contains information licensed under the Open Government Licence – Canada.
Transboundary watershed data extracted from a combined dataset for North America published by the Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC).
Water quality guideline sources
- DataStream (2019). Water Quality Guidelines Summary Spreadsheet.
- Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (2019). Summary Table.
- Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (2007). A Protocol for the Derivation of Water Quality Guidelines for the Protection of Aquatic Life 2007.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (2019). National Recommended Water Quality Criteria - Aquatic Life Criteria Table.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (2010). Guidelines for Deriving Numerical National Water Quality Criteria for the Protection Of Aquatic Organisms and Their Uses.
- Atlantic Water Network. 2019. WET-Pro Online Water Quality Training Modules. https://wet-pro.ca
- Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment. 2011. Protocols Manual for Water Quality Sampling in Canada. ISBN 978-1-896997-7-0. http://protocols.ccme.ca
- Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment. Canadian Environmental Quality Guidelines. http://ceqg-rcqe.ccme.ca/en/index.html
- Government of the Northwest Territories. Water Quality Parameters and Contaminants Fact Sheets. https://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/en/services/water-management-and-monitoring/reports-and-publications-water-management
- Government of the Northwest Territories. 2012. Experiential Science 30 – Freshwater Systems. Pacific Educational Press, Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia.
- Northern Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network (EMAN-North). 2005. Northern Waters: A Guide to Designing and Conducting Water Quality Monitoring in Northern Canada.